Start date: 07 January 2020
Duration: 1 Year
Location: Cavan & Monaghan
Certificate: BA Hon Degree Level 8
Cost: €2,200 per person
Course code: HRECE-B
Children require high-quality education and care during their formative years. Research indicates that the higher the professional qualification of the educator working with the children, the higher the quality of the setting. This honours degree in Early Childhood Education and Care enables the student to study a diverse range of subjects in order to gain a deep understanding of babies and children from birth to 6 years of age. The importance of play and interactions in supporting learning is emphasised throughout. Students develop a knowledge and understanding of Aistear, the Early Childhood Curriculum Framework and Siolta, the National Quality Framework for Early Childhood Education, essential for professional work in this area of practice. Year 3 entry for those who already hold a Level 7 in this area.
At the end of this training participants will be able to:
- Demonstrate in-depth understanding of a comprehensive body of Knowledge relating to the theory and practice of early childhood education and care, with expertise in a particular area.
- Promote children’s development and well-being by planning and implementing appropriate and culturally sensitive learning environments (inside and out)
- Demonstrate an understanding of the theory and practice of early childhood practice in Ireland, to include ‘Aistear’: The Early Childhood Curriculum Framework and ‘Siolta’: The national Quality Framework for Early Childhood Education and an awareness of the principles and practices in running an early year setting.
- Generate responses, demonstrating some innovation, to challenging situations in a practice situation
- Work as a team member
- Identify children’s needs and demonstrate awareness of the mechanisms for planning for appropriate support within the service provided (which may include other professionals), in conjunction with parents, guardians and families.